Thursday, April 8, 2010

LUA KUN ENG

1.What is my identity? David Hume seems to suggest that a person's identity is nothing more than a bundle of sensations and feelings connected together by memory.

2.Sensations are the affections of my sense organs caused by the external objects. Affections and the external objects are said to be related as cause and effect. As cause and effect are not the same, affections and external objects are also not the same. Affections are therefore occurrences in me.

3.Feelings are also occurrences in me and are totally private to me. No amount of observation of my behaviour could reveal my true feelings.

4.According to the above therefore when my memory is lost, my identity would also be lost. But this is not totally true. I still have an external identity. My external identity is not dependent on my memory, but on the memory of the people who know me.

5.When all memories are lost, all identities are also lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment